TENT TRAILERS or POP UPs are great STARTER TRAILERS for families!
Tent trailers (or pop ups) are lightweight towable trailers that have collapsible canvas side walls that fold inward.
- other appellations: pop-up trailers, fold-out trailers or folding camper trailers.
They are small and their collapsible sides make them low profile when towed. They seem to look like a flat box on wheels.
When at camp, the pop-up roof is pushed upward expanding the canvas sides and miraculously creating a living space. Some very small units can be towed behind a large motorcycle.
- normally sleeps 2 to 6 people
- cost $5,000 to $12,000 new
- length of 15 to 22 feet
The TENT TRAILER is a TOWABLE RV.
Let's see the advantages and disadvantages of this choice.
- very affordable. A nice transition from a simple tent. Popular with families and first time RV owners.
- low fuel costs. Light enough to be towed with the family car, SUV or van. Always check the towing capacity of your tow vehicle.
- easy to store away beside the house.
- ideal for small trips in good weather.
- can be brought to less accessible camping sites, with little concern for top clearance (ex. low branches).
- not well suited to cold weather. Trying to heat with a propane heater usually results in warming the outside.
- subject to mold when used in humid weather or rain without proper drying of the canvas sides before folding.
- longer set up time (30 minutes to 1 hour).
- less privacy in times when nature calls (toilet use or intimacy).
- limited storage and small appliances.
OTHER TYPES of CAMPING TRAILERS available:
- the travel trailers (conventional)
- the fifth wheel trailers
- the truck camper
Check the PROS and CONS of MOTOR HOMES
Return from tent trailers to the Home page: RV-Travel-Lifestyle